Happiness is a state that we all aspire to achieve.
It’s fun. You feel good. Life takes on a glow. It’s infectious. The stuff that normally bothers us seems to not be so bothersome. Life is good!
Happiness however is not a permanent state nor should it be.
Whilst we love and enjoy feeling happy, it’s when we’re not feeling happy that we appreciate how good feeling happy is. Once we experience happiness we want it again. It’s addictive in a good way.
Your happiness is unique to you. What makes one person happy does not necessarily make another person feel happy. What once made you happy may not make you happy at another time in life.
You become happy in a moment or it may be a slow burn to get to the positive emotional state. Some of the loveliest happiness moments are generated from simple experiences shared with people we love and care about, or doing things that feel good to you.
We’ve all heard it before: happiness is a journey not a destination. Our experience of life is ultimately about the choices we make to fulfill our needs as we travel through life.
We can cultivate happiness within ourselves by being conscious of what we are experiencing during our life journey and making choices that help promote positive emotions rather than angst and negativity.
Whilst here is no ‘one size fits all’ formula to being happy the following will go far to helping you create the positive or pleasant emotions that define being happy:
Be with happy people as much as possible
- Happy people are fun to be with. They lift your mood and raise your energy. They embrace the silly and see the fun in life.
Focus on your goals and dreams
- Goals and dreams give you forward movement in life, a direction to follow. You may not know exactly where you may end up however you are moving forward rather than treading water and perhaps feeling stuck.
Live your life with passion and purpose
- Following your intuition and your heart when making life choices is essential to being true to yourself and living life on your terms. When you feel good, you will know you have made the right choices for you.
Focus on the things you can change
- Life is full of things we can’t change and don’t need to change. Keep things in perspective and don’t waste your energy on stuff that doesn’t matters i.e. don’t sweat the small stuff
Be open to change
- Whilst it’s great to have plans, life happens all around us and sometimes stuff happens that doesn’t fit your plan. The key is to be flexible and flow around life’s obstacles rather than ram into them head on, even if it may mean a change in direction. Your ability to see roadblocks as opportunities for growth and learning will go a long way to maintaining positive emotions in your life.
See the good in others and situations
- Being different, not what you are used to, or what you were expecting does not make a situation negative. Challenge yourself to find the silver lining in every experience and interaction you have, trusting that often it is these moments that experience your biggest and most positive learnings in life.
- Life can be serious, too serious at times. Try to see life with the fun and playful eye of a child. When you are challenged by life, laughing at a situation can straight away lift your mood. Surround yourself with happy people who love to laugh and you will quickly get infected by fun.
Be comfortable in your own skin
- Like who you are right now not when you are thinner, richer, more educated, own a house, have a new car, are in a relationship etc, etc. Feel appreciative for who you are right now and what you already have. Now is where the real you is, not when you have achieved or attained a goal.
Make time for you, family & friends
- Time and interaction with other humans, sharing experiences, support, understandings and knowledge is essential to forming and strengthening relationship bonds that are vital to your emotional health.
- Time on your own to physically and emotionally nurture you, and to reflect and process your life experiences is also essential for your own personal growth and enjoyment of life.
- We are all energetic beings and it is universal energy that has created us and our physical environment. This universal energy or power connects us all and is known by many names: God, the Creator, Buddha, the All Might, Spirit to name just a few. When you tap into life’s energy in whatever way is true and meaningful for you, you will experience guidance from and alignment with the Universe.
Until next time, wishing you a delicious day of love, laughter and happiness!!!