Summer is officially coming to a close. Whilst the days are generally still warm (Melbourne is still regularly four seasons in one day having me always carrying a warm jacket and umbrella in my back pack regardless of the forecast) the nights have definitely started to cool. I love to pull up the doona and night and snuggle underneath it’s warmth.
A change of season means a change of clothes, activities and the foods that we eat.
I enjoy the seasons changing: to me it’s a reminder that change is a part of life and an opportunity to touch base with where we’re at and where we actually want to be.
I was recently at a meeting of Business in Heels in Ballarat and had the good fortune to hear two lovely ladies speaking about effective goal setting.
Tiffany from Blue Lotus Mind shared that our conscious brain accounts for only 4% of our thoughts that leaves an amazing 96% of our thinking occurring in our subconscious mind. Our brain filters our thinking via its Reticular Activity System (RAS) so if we change that filter system we’re able to change the opportunities that come to us because we are seeing things that we hadn’t seen before. To change your RAS we need to change our mind’s picture of what we want to have and the language that motivates us to change. When we do our focus becomes more abstract allowing our RAS to shift and our experiences will change.
Deb from Developing Excellence in Business took us through the 5 key words of goal setting with the overall concept being Keep It Simple. The 5 words she spoke about to keep you focused on your goals are:
Each word needs to be actioned in relation to your end goals. By getting clear on each word in relation to your goals, you are able to have focus and be dynamic in the actions you take to achieve them.
I find it very inspiring and empowering to meet people in their own businesses. There is a drive and a passion that is tangible: it’s a great reminder to me to stay focused on my own goals and why it is important to keep working towards them.
Until next time, wishing you a delicious day filled with love, laughter, happiness AND staying focused.
Joanna xo 🙂